This 2-hour hands on course is aimed to help novice riders gain confidence and familiarity with the motorcycle before signing up for the Basic RiderCourse and is helpful starting point for potential riders wanting to determine whether motorcycling is for them. Motorcycle for the course provided; students must bring their own helmet and wear protective clothing. A license is not issued for this course.
a. Get familiar with protective gear
b. Get familiar with key motorcycle controls, including practice operating a clutch
c. Get the feeling of starting out and stopping in a straight line
- mounting and dismounting
- Starting and stopping the engine
- Clutch lever, throttle and brake use and coordination
- Basic starting out and stopping using 1st gear
Coaches for the program are experienced motorcycle operators nationally certified by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) and recognized by the Virginia DMV’s Rider Training Program.
Class location: 399 B E Lee Street, Broadway, VA 22815
Clothing students must provide*:
- Sturdy, over-the-ankle shoes/boots (non-canvas)
- Long pants (denim or durable) and a long sleeve shirt
- Full-finger gloves (motorcycle or leather gloves preferred)
- Eye protection (eye glasses or sunglasses)
- Full or 3/4 face DOT approved helmet (no half shells)
*We are passionate about student safety: students will NOT be permitted to ride without the above safety gear!