Course Policy and Procedures
Students are REQUIRED to wear:
- Sturdy, over-the-ankle shoes/boots (non-canvas); ankle bone must be covered
- Long pants (something durable for your protection, i.e. not thin leggings; jeans are acceptable)
- Long sleeve shirt
- Full-finger gloves (motorcycle or leather gloves preferred)
- Eye protection (your helmet face shield is a great option; or shatter-proof eye glasses or sunglasses if your helmet doesn’t have a face shield)
- Full or 3/4 face DOT-approved helmet (no half shells)
- Motorcycles will be provided for the course
- We are passionate about student safety: students will NOT be permitted to ride without the above safety gear!
CANCELLATION/ RESCHEDULE/ LATE POLICY
- You may cancel up to 10 days prior to your scheduled course, and a refund minus a $50.00 non-refundable fee will be issued. Within 9 days of your start date no refunds will be offered.
- You may reschedule up to 10 days prior to your course without penalty. Within 9 – 4 days of your scheduled course, you may reschedule for a $50 fee. With 3 days or less until your start date, you are committed to the course and rescheduling is no longer an option. If you are unable to request a reschedule date at the time of rescheduling, RIM will hold the course tuition for up to a year until you contact us for a reschedule date. It is the student’s responsibility to make arrangements with Riders In Motion for reschedules within a year’s time, otherwise the tuition will be forfeited.
- DO NOT BE LATE. Arriving late or tardy to your scheduled session forfeits your place in the class.
- The course material builds on itself; therefore it is essential that students arrive on time and return from breaks on time with gear and essential class and/ or range materials.
- If a student is more then 15 minutes late to any session, the coach reserves the right to dismiss the student from class out of respect for the other students, and no refunds or transfers will be given.
- If you are late, do not show up, fail to cancel within the cancellation period or leave the class for any reason, NO REFUNDS, TRANSFERS, or CREDITS will be issued. If there was unsuccessful completion of the course in which a student did not pass the written and/ or driving exam, the student may register for the class again at half the current course cost within one year from original class date.
- Please note per policy that at least 5 students must be enrolled in order to hold the class during winter training (December-January). From February-November at least 4 students must be enrolled to hold class. A full refund OR no-cost transfer will be offered if class is canceled at any point by RIM due to low enrollment, snow accumulation or any other reason.
STUDENTS UNDER 18:
- Must have legal guardian present at start of class to sign course waiver. If the student needs to make arrangements to have a notarized waiver signed ahead of time please contact the office at firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain the waiver; note all waivers signed before class MUST be notarized.
- We ride rain or SHINE; please bring rain gear.
- We will reschedule for snow accumulation.
WHAT TO EXPECT (for Basic RiderCourse):
- You will be paired with a group of up to 9 riders. Divided between two or three days, the course will consist of about 5 hours classwork using a rider course handbook and about 10 hours of range exercises on a motorcycle (handbook & motorcycle provided). Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be issued a temporary, 30-day M2 (two-wheel motorcycle) license to be carried with a valid VA driver’s license; simply show this completion card to the DMV so they can add the M2 designation to your VA driver’s license. Successful completion of this course waives the DMV knowledge and road skills tests. Motorcycles will be provided for the course. Completing the Basic RiderCourse may also reduce your motorcycle insurance premiums! Check with your insurance provider.
- Basic RiderCourse Practice Quiz: feel free to read the handbook and test your knowledge prior to class!
- You may want to bring a highlighter to class. Class times will vary so refer to your confirmation email for your class time. Please arrive 15 minutes before class to ensure you are not late.
- Break time for lunch: bring your own meal or buy lunch on the way between classroom and the range. There are many quick lunch options along E Market Street in Harrisonburg.
- Location — NOTE THERE ARE TWO LOCATIONS! MEET IN HARRISONBURG FIRST:
- The Basic RiderCourse is taught at a pace that results in successful completion for most novice riders, and our coaches will assist you to learn to the best of your ability. That said, if you have significant difficulty or become a risk to yourself or others, as determined by you or your coach, you will not be permitted to continue to ride. If you are concerned you may not be able to keep up, consider our 2-hour Introductory Motorcycle Experience (IME) course to gain familiarity and practice with the clutch before taking the Basic RiderCourse.
- To successfully complete the course, you must:
Attend and participate in all sessions.
Achieve a minimum score on a knowledge test covering course materials.
Achieve a passing score on a riding-skill evaluation.
- Successful completion of the Basic RiderCourse does not guarantee your safety on the road. Only you can choose the level of safety that you wish to maintain. The course will supply you with opportunities to acquire a baseline knowledge and skill set enabling you to continue to practice and develop safe riding habits. Safe riding is also a mindset, and only you can provide that.
- During the course or after course completion, class photos/video may be taken. Upon registering for class, you agree to all of the following statements: I grant to Riders in Motion permission to photograph or video me, and publish any media now or later, for promotional or other purpose. I release Riders in Motion from any and all claims connected with the use of photographs or video of me.
- Upon registering for class, you agree to receive email communication from Riders In Motion, including emails with important class details. Understand you may unsubscribe at any time.